THE ROLE OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
St Joseph’s School Board of Trustees, with the Principal and staff will ensure that the Special Catholic Character of the school will permeate every aspect of school life. The Catholic Social Teachings will underpin and guide all decision-making including staffing, administration, curriculum, pastoral care and behaviour management, cultural development, sport and recreation.
The Board of Trustees has a governance role and sets the vision for the school. By assisting and supporting the Principal, the Board helps define the long term aspirations and strategy of the school.
Primarily the Board is accountable for student achievement and must provide an environment for the delivery of quality educational outcomes. The Board also has specific responsibility for policy, finance, property, health and safety, discipline and the employment and remuneration of senior staff.
The Principal manages the school’s day to day operations. This involves allocating responsibilities to staff, involves parents, staff and the school community in developing educational objectives, prepares and implements with the Board a strategic plan to achieve these objectives, selects staff, implements staff training and reviews staff performance. The Principal reports to the Board on learning outcomes and other aspects of school operation.
The Board’s role is to:
- Create a vision for the school’s future alongside the Principal
- Be curriculum focused and “hands off” day to day management
- Review and audit school policies and the Charter
- Review and approve a strategic plan each year
- Set a budget and monitor the school’s financial position.
- Deal with complaints and disciplinary matters referred by the Principal
- Review the Principal’s performance and management of the school
- Ensure the school communicates effectively with the community.
Board members are available to parents and caregivers with regard to matters relating to the governance of the school.
You are welcome to attend Board of Trustees meetings which are held in the school library. Meetings start at 5.30pm and are held once a month during term time. Meetings dates are available from the School Office.